Week 4


Hello everyone! This week I focused on finishing up all the gram staining for the bacteria I collected from one of the creosote bushes of PC. There are five samples: one is gram positive cocci, another is gram negative baccili, another is gram positive baccili, and the other two I think I will have to redo. One of the samples seemed to have two different colonies growing inside of it, as Josh noticed that there were some gram negative baccili and gram positive cocci mixed together. The second one that I have to redo is one that was really hard to see. Hopefully I'll get better results next week! 
     Also, since it rained yesterday, I went to collect another sample from the same bush. While I was taking the sample, I also recorded the CO2 levels. They seem to have decreased with the rain, I'm excited to see if the rain will also affect any of the bacteria. I'll update you guys on that next week!


Comments

  1. Hey, Luisa. I'm glad you got your gram staining going on. Also, it's a good thing you noticed the different types of bacteria together. I would grow them on media plates just to see their colony morphology. Carbon dioxide is known to inhibit the growth of common bacteria. I'm not entirely sure about bacteria found in plants. I'll keep myself posted to see your results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read most of your blog posts and I cannot find what sample method or protocol you used for collecting the microbes from the leaf surface.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 14

What advice would you give your "freshman self" or your "first-day-at-ASU self"?